The Buddhist Chaplaincy Training is designed for people who have a committed and ongoing involvement with Buddhist practice, teachings, and way of life. This training is designed for and welcoming to a diverse population. With the intention to dissolve all barriers that perpetuate the suffering of separation, prejudice, and discrimination, we are dedicated to the inclusion of all races, classes, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, disabilities, cultures, ethnicities, and other social identities.
- Regular and committed Buddhist practice and study for at least four years (or previous chaplaincy training)
- Three Buddhist retreats of at least one week or the equivalent
- A Written Application (download here)
- A $50.00 Application Fee (payable by check only)
- A letter of recommendation from a Buddhist teacher or mentor
- An interview between July 1 and mid-September
Items 1-3 must be sent to us at the address on the application form. We will not process your application until these are received.
Admission interviews begin in early July.
The application deadline is 3 days prior to the first day of the training. Applications are processed in the order received. Phone or Skype interviews can be conducted for long-distance applicants. We recommend applying by August 1, as class size is limited. If the training becomes full, your application fee will be returned.
The Sati Center for Buddhist Studies has an affiliation program with the Institute of Buddhist Studies (IBS), a graduate academic seminary affiliated with the Graduate Theological Union (GTU) in Berkeley, CA. Click here for more information.