The Buddhist Chaplaincy Training is designed for people who have a committed and ongoing involvement with Buddhist practice, teachings, and way of life. This training is designed for and welcoming to a diverse population. With the intention to dissolve all barriers that perpetuate the suffering of separation, prejudice, and discrimination, we are dedicated to the inclusion of all races, classes, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, disabilities, cultures, ethnicities, and other social identities.
- Regular and committed Buddhist practice and study for at least four years (or previous chaplaincy training)
- Three Buddhist retreats of at least one week or the equivalent
- A Written Application (PDF Download here) (Word: Download here): email to email@example.com
- A letter of recommendation from a Buddhist teacher or mentor: email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A $60.00 Application Fee:
- Payable by check, mail to: Sati Center, 108 Birch St. Redwood City, CA 94062, USA
- Payable by PayPal or credit card: click here and add a note saying ‘Buddhist Chaplaincy Training: Application Fee
- Note: a 3% surcharge is incurred by Sati Center for Paypal/credit cards. Please consider adding this amount to your payment.
We prefer to receive applications after June 15. Admission interviews begin in mid July. We will not process your application until all 3 components are received.
The application deadline is 1 week prior to the first day of the training. No exceptions, please. Applications are processed in the order received. Interviews take place by Zoom. We recommend applying by mid-August, as class size is limited. If the training becomes full, your application fee will be returned.
The Sati Center for Buddhist Studies has an affiliation program with the Institute of Buddhist Studies (IBS), a graduate academic seminary affiliated with the Graduate Theological Union (GTU) in Berkeley, CA. Click here for more information.