The Buddhist Chaplaincy Training is designed for people who have a committed and ongoing involvement with Buddhist practice, teachings, and way of life. This training is designed for and welcoming to a diverse population. With the intention to dissolve all barriers that perpetuate the suffering of separation, prejudice, and discrimination, we are dedicated to the inclusion of all races, classes, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, disabilities, cultures, ethnicities, and other social identities.
- Regular and committed Buddhist practice and study for at least four years (or previous chaplaincy training)
- Three Buddhist retreats of at least one week or the equivalent
We will not process your application until all three components are received. Completed applications are processed in the order they are received. Once we have received all three components of your application, we will contact you by email to arrange a mutually convenient time to interview by Zoom.
- A written application. We can only accept applications that come in through our online Application Form*.
CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE APPLICATION FORM
- A letter of recommendation from a Buddhist teacher or mentor. Please send your recommender the following link to the Recommender Letter Form.
CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE RECOMMENDER LETTER
- A $100.00 application fee, payable by PayPal or credit card: CLICK HERE and add a note specifying ‘Buddhist Chaplaincy Training: Application Fee’. Note: a 3% surcharge is incurred by Sati Center for PayPal and credit cards. Please consider adding this amount to your payment.
*Since the application form is extensive and cannot be partially saved, we recommend drafting your answers first in a Word document or equivalent. For a PDF preview of the questions, click here.
June 15: Applications start to be accepted and admission interviews begin. Any applications received prior to this date will not be reviewed.
August 31: Waiting list opens, as the class size is limited and typically fills by end of August. If the training becomes full, your application fee will be refunded.
The application deadline is 1 week prior to the first day of the training. No exceptions, please. Applications are processed in the order received. Interviews take place by Zoom. We recommend applying by mid-August, as class size is limited to 24 participants. If the training becomes full, your application fee will be returned.
The Sati Center for Buddhist Studies has an affiliation program with the Institute of Buddhist Studies (IBS), a graduate academic seminary affiliated with the Graduate Theological Union (GTU) in Berkeley, CA. Click here for more information.